Documentary Bootcamp is a one-week, immersive, hands-on learning experience covering the fundamentals of documentary filmmaking from pre- to post-production. You will:
- Produce a short documentary in a week;
- Learn how to pick a great story and engage your audience through the lived realities of your characters and scenes;
- Acquire the aesthetic and technical skills needed to record moving images and sounds that are editable and stimulate the eye and ear;
- Practice the art and science of interviewing and how to avoid unusable answers;
- Develop, script, and organize a project from start to finish.
Lively presentations, relevant discussions, practical exercises, and thorough reviews will culminate in your completion of a final project. No previous experience needed. See previous student work here.
Equipment: Participants will use the production equipment available to them whether it be a phone, DSLR or video camera. Tripods are highly recommended. Audio recording gear is not required, but a shotgun microphone, wireless lavalier kit and headphones that can connect to your video recording device will be useful if available.
Free access to Adobe Premiere editing software comes with enrollment. Students must have a computer that meets the minimum specifications required by Adobe Premiere Pro 2020. It is highly recommended that students have external hard drives to store and edit their media.
Class schedule: January 4-8, 2021
Overview: Monday-Friday: 9am-4:30pm; Thursday: Optional editing lab until 8:30pm
Details: Monday-Thursday, 9am-1pm, students meet together with the instructor. 1:00-4:30pm students work independently on exercises. Instructor available until 4:30pm.
Thursday the instructor will be available for an optional, but highly recommended, editing lab until 8:30pm.
Friday, 9am-4:30pm. Students work throughout the day on their edits, meeting together with the instructor and working independently, until the final review, 3:30-4:30pm.
Online via Zoom
Please be in touch with any questions.
- Narrative Storytelling for Documentary Filmmaking, January-March, 2021
- Visual and Aural Storytelling in Video Production, March-April, 2021
- Editing the Story with Image and Sound – Workshop, April-May 2021