1) Support the initiatives led by Haitian people and groups
2) If we contribute aid to a foreign agency, demand they post their decisions and relationships with local groups
3) Solidarity, not charity
4) Address the root causes, including neoliberal policies our governments enforced
5) Demand that our aid has real participation by local groups, not just doing the work but setting priorities and identifying how the work is to get done
6) Actually reinforce human capacity – making sure this time expertise is shared with a critical mass of Haitian actors, who can and should be the ones making decisions
7) Link humanitarian aid to development (not the old, failed neoliberal model), and disaster preparedness
Millions of Afghans are struggling to survive after crucial foreign aid was halted due to the...